Monday, June 10, 2013

Final Chapter! Chapter 16!

This chapter taught me alot about the process of dying. I have been around death, and experienced death my whole entire life. But it seems like more so within these past 5 years. I have seen people die at every age, and it doesnt matter what age the person is, it is ALWAYS hard for the family. Each and every person handles death a different way. I guess depending on the situation leading up to the death, some people can be more 'okay' with it, and other situations, can leave people in shock about the death. My grandma passed away about 2 years ago. She had been battling different kinds of cancer my whole life, doing chemo and radiation and whatnot. This last time, she had enough. She didnt want to fight it anymore, her husband had passed away himself 20 years prior, so she had no desire to keep fighting. She told our family that she wanted to pass away in California, and be buried there next to her husband. Sure enough a week after moving back to California, she had passed away. It hurts that she is not here with us, but im sure i can vouch for my whole family when i say i think we are all 'okay' with her passing. She was in pain, she was miserable, since her husband passed thats all she ever wanted to do because she didnt like living and going on without him. It was interesting reading this chapter, and seeing how many different parts of the process i and my family have been through, such as grief and mourning. Death is not an easy thing to experience. I just now think of her as an angel watching down and guiding us. 


3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog because I've been through a lot of loss recently, too. Cancer, is the big bad "C" word in our family. Both my husband and I have lost loved ones to it in the past; but the last year we've had a "double whammy" so to speak. I lost my dad to pancreatic cancer at age 69, and he lost his sister to breast cancer at age 50. It's really hard not to go into a deep depression and it takes a lot of work to help and encourage each other that, in spite of our losses, there is still a lot to live for, and with the help of our loved ones we can still forge ahead and find the positive and loving qualities that we still have to live a satisfying and rewarding life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big loss, but knowing that it was what your grandmother wanted has to take the sting out of it. When my grandmother passed it was from Alzheimer's, and she was lost and in pain all the time. I remember the main thought was "thank god it's done" - then, later, we celebrated her life. It's not easy, but people do have to ability to process the loss.

    It's been wonderful reading your blog this quarter, Kathleen. Thanks, and be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a rough road your grandmother had to endure the final stages of her life. It's defiantely not something that seems fair when some people have to suffer through so much and others get to die in their sleep. I agree with you that she is looking down on you. I have also seen many people die and it really seems to me that it's the family who has the hardest time with it, at least with the elderly. I can't really speak for younger people. The graceful thing about dying that I see is most elderly people have lived a long life and they are tired. I'm not saying they want to die, although some say they are ready. I'm just saying they seem often times at peace with it and are finished fighting. Take care!

      Delete