Sunday, April 7, 2013

Monkey See, Monkey Do


There was a lot of information in Chapter 1 that I thoroughly enjoyed reading and learning about. What interested me and caught my eye, was the theoretical perspectives on human development. Whether it was a psychodynamic theory or a cognitive theory, there are pieces of every theory that made me question whether I believe the theory I true or false.

My 3 year old nephew has a slight learning disability. He is not yet able to talk, so when he trying to communicate what he wants/needs, he often times gets frustrated when no one is able to understand what he wants. Which, most times ends in a tantrum. If he is in a room full of adults, he is doing anything and everything to get the attention on him, usually things he knows he is not supposed to be doing. Although, when he is around other kids, such as a preschool or daycare, and sees what they are doing he follows their lead, and you would never know he was in the room. To me it’s funny how the environment around you (nature) can affect how one may act.

While reading through the different theories, one that popped out what the social learning theory. It referrers to people that watch those around them and imitate them. Some of us know this as “Monkey see, Monkey do”. I do believe that plays a huge roll in my nephew’s learning. Once he sees other kids doing something, he tends to follow and does the same. Even something as simple as laying down and taking a nap, if he sees other children taking a nap, he will lay down and also take a nap. For once, when he is around other children he is not thriving for attention.

Although, with reading through the different theories, Erik Erikson’s Theory stating that the life cycle is composed of 8 different stages, I’m not sure if I necessarily agree with. To me, I feel like some of the stages, is what people may EXPECT of you at that age. But, with people’s maturity levels being different from one another, this theory is not necessarily correct for everyone. It’s hard telling about the early years because obviously, I can’t remember how I was at age 1. According to his theory, I right now should be committing myself in a loving relationship. Sure, maybe I have a slow maturity level at age 24 (I don’t think I do) but my goal right now is school, a relationship right now, is a possibility of holding me back. His theory could be true for some people, but I don’t think it is true for everyone. Everyone is different.

3 comments:

  1. The environment around each individual is different in may ways and in how people react to those environment depends on them selves or how they were raised. Like you nephew i totally understand where you are coming from i have a step daughter that acts the same way and it's a learned behavior. However she does act right when reminded to correct that mistake. I think your are correct that everyone learns at the own stage and we all learn from those mistakes or from our surroundings. Everyone is different in their own unique way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've encountered Erikson's theories in previous classes, and I find them to be pretty solid; but (and this is true for any psychological framework) it's just a starting point. When you describe any individual experience you talk about how they deviate from the norm. You're 24, you're nowhere close to the 'committed relationship' step - that doesn't make the theory untrue, any more than saying the average height of an adult white male can't be 5'10" since I am not 5'10".

    I think "is it true" is less important than "is it useful" - does the theory provide a useful starting point for exploring the wildly different experiences of each individual?

    - Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, one more thing - Erikson was publishing this stuff in 1950. It's a different era, with different social expectations for hitting these development milestones. I think that has to have an effect.

      Delete