Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 2


These past two chapters where the ones I could NOT wait to read. Although, I do not have any children, yet, I LOVE kids! It fascinates me how they grow, the different stages they go through, seeing how each child is different in many ways, pretty much everything!  
One thing that really catches my eye, is how different genes can be passed from the parents to the child. My sister just had a baby in February, and it is amazing to me to see how much her son looks so much like her, yet so much like the father as well, but how he looks even more like his older brother.  One thing I hear a lot is that I look, talk, act etc. like my mother. If people could, i'm sure most would say I even breath like her. If I were to answer a phone, everyone would assume I was in fact my mother. When I was younger I thought it was the most annoying thing, because I wanted to be my own person. Now, I look at it and I would kill to be half the person my mom is.
                One of the sections that I didn’t necessarily like to read, but it was interesting was the section about SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). When I was in 8th grade my cousin lost a son to SIDS. At the time I was old enough to know what had happened, but young enough to not know anything about SIDS. It was heartbreaking. Very hard to see someone you are so close with in so much pain. Now days, I have seen a baby monitors that you can clip to your baby’s diaper and it detects every movement that a baby takes. It also alarms after a certain amount of time if your baby stops moving (breathing).  It is reassuring to know that a baby dying from SIDS is not necessarily because a parent has done something wrong. What I thought was odd, was that it says that African American infants are MORE likely to die from SIDS than any other culture, because they just don’t know to not have infants sleep on their stomachs? I mean, I am glad that they are trying to get the message out to the African American communities. I guess I was just shocked that they were able to limit it to mainly African American infants when it can happen to any culture. 

3 comments:

  1. I definitely see a shocking resemblance with me and my mother as well. It's great to see genes working in that way, isn't it? My brother and myself both look like my mother, brownish hair and green eyes. Where my sister looks like my dad, blonde hair and blue eyes. Also, SIDS is a sad thing to read about. I just find it a little curious as to why we don't know exactly why babies stop breathing. Laying him/her on their back is a step in the right direction, I just wish there were a little more direction on the whole topic. So sorry to hear about your cousin losing her son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you are talking about with DNA all the girls in my family look alike from my grandmother all the way to my daughter. It is amazing how genes can be carried on from one family member to another. SIDS i can't quite understand that and in fact maybe even loosing one i don't know why we can not find a cure or even why it happens to babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all of the advancements and knowledge we have gained about DNA is amazing. There's so much we don't understand but we we can do so far is pretty cool. Maybe there will be a way to alter DNA someday that will reduce the odds of babies dying from SIDS. My best friend lost her second child to SIDS. She had just checked on him, went to work at six am and when her husband woke to check on him at seven am he had stopped breathing. It's such an unexplained tragedy. I hope we find a cure one day.

    ReplyDelete